ANTS News and Discussion Forum

poster technology

poster technology

by Sandra Campbell-Crofts -
Number of replies: 5

Hello everyone,

At a recent post graduate research conference, I noticed that a number of posters had a small sqauare in the corner which was encrypted with information that could be downloaded by using a smart phone.  I was wondering if any members had come across this technology?

Sandra Campbell-Crofts

In reply to Sandra Campbell-Crofts

Re: poster technology

by Melissa Bloomer -

Hi Sandra

I am wondering if you are referring to RSS feed widgets?  I cant see I have seen them on posters, but certainly in other materials and online.

melissa

In reply to Melissa Bloomer

Hello Melissa,

I have not understood RSS feeds so have steered right away from them.  And as for widgets, well???? I now understand the the squrare is a QR code. It has been used at UTS and Deakin.   So I will continue to investigate more.  Responses from members has been great, keep the discussion going if anyone else has more info on this technology.  This might be a great topic for an ANTS seminar. 

Sandra Crofts

In reply to Sandra Campbell-Crofts

by Ken Caldwell -

HI Melissa,

yep it is a QR code or '2D' barcode. It works similar to a barcode but the information encoded has much more detail.

You may also see the code used in magazines (I've also seen them on building sites for potential investors or buyers) so that readers can get further information from a website without having to remember or type in long URLs/web addresses. There are a couple of universities and museums in the US using the code to provide information about sites, monuments, historic buildings etc. It's great to hear that they are using them on posters, wonderful innovation.

There are many different QR code readers available on the Apple App Store for iPhones, and others available through other Smartphone App suppliers.

As a technology it should have 'taken off' more than it has. How they are generated I am not sure.

Adds to the whole concept of 'mobile learning' the next emerging step in the e-learning realm!

Cheers

Ken

In reply to Ken Caldwell

by Jo-Ann Greaves -

You can actually generate them online. This is one site where you can do so:

http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ 

You can then save the code and ad it to documents, etc, or embed them on a webpage or blog.

Would be interesting to explore this type of technology a bit more....

In reply to Jo-Ann Greaves

Thanks Jo-Ann,

Yes.  Hopefully we can get a workshop at the next conference in Perth to assist members with this new technology.

Sandra Campbell-Crofts