ANTS News and Discussion Forum

RN / RM TPPP Supernumerary period

RN / RM TPPP Supernumerary period

by Visitor Visitor -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I am preparing a talk on transition, particularly Transition to Professional Practice (TPPP) (graduate nurse  / midwife) transition and I was wondering how much supernumerary time  / days are given to TPPP's at the commencement of their clinical rotations? I work at a Nurse Educator for a RN TPPP program in Adelaide, and am interested in what other states offer? 

Thanks. 

Paula Melville. 

In reply to Visitor Visitor

Re: RN / RM TPPP Supernumerary period

by Visitor Visitor -

Hi Janet (for Jo - message below),

I believe the minimum required under the NSWhealth transition to practice guidelines was two days on the first rotation and one day for other rotations after that. Some wards or units due to wonting to orientate and provide support for more complex environments they may give them up to a week. It is what the unit manger feels is appropriate for the complexity of the ward/unit. I believe that supernumerary is great to orientate to the geographical and cultural components of the ward like how to order drugs when and how meal breaks are taken how to do roster requests, a general overview of how the ward/unit works  etc. It is sometimes less stressful for them not to have to many supernumerary days. I have found that they transition much better if they are given the responsibility and accountability of their own patients with the knowledge support is available as supernumerary is very much like when they were students.  Often they hold back with having someone looking over their shoulder for too long.

Regards   

Joanne Purdue
Professional Officer

New   South Wales Nurses and Midwives’ Association
  Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation – NSW Branch
  50 O’Dea Avenue
  WATERLOO NSW 2017

Metro. 02 8595 1234 | Non Metro. 1300 367 962 
Fax. 02 9662 1414 | gensec@nswnma.asn.au | http://www.nswnma.asn.au

Joanne Purdue
Professional Officer

by Visitor Visitor -

Hi I look after the TPPP at St George hospital in South Eastern Sydney.Our 12 month program includes 2 x 6 month rotations. We provide a week extensive orientation with the final day ward/unit orientation and then TPPs receive 2 supernumerary days for the first rotation and 1 supernumerary day for the second rotation.

Regards

Sharon Curtis

by Karen White -

Hi,

You might like to contact Sandra Williams, who coordinates the TPPP RN program at Southern Adelaide Local Health Network.

Sandra can be contacted via email at sandra.williams2@sa.gov.au

Regards,

Karen White
Nursing Director,
Centre for Nursing and Midwifery Education and Research
Southern Adelaide Local Health Network

by Visitor Visitor -

Hi Paula,

In WA it is generally 2 days at the commencement at each clinical area. 

We have been piloting a transition program through the casual pool and that has given them 2 clinical skills days with education staff and then the equivalent of 6 shifts supernumerary on the ward area.

If you would like further information please email me: pippa.cook@health.wa.gov.au

Kind regards

Pippa