ANTS News and Discussion Forum

Employment of EN and RN Graduates

Employment of EN and RN Graduates

by Julie Jackson -
Number of replies: 2

Dear All

We are currently reviewing our processes and would be interested to hear what you do to facilitate employment of your EN and RN graduates in your hospital when they have completed their program.

I look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Julie

In reply to Julie Jackson

Re: Employment of EN and RN Graduates

by Elizabeth Newham -

Hi Julie, I'm from a children's hospital in NSW, we run a 12 month New Graduate Program for newly graduated registered nurses, this is recruited through NSW Health. We also have a 12 month transitional program that is designed to provide an opportunity for nurses with limited or no paediatric experience to work in our clinical area, many of our RN1's who have completed their first year with us enter this program in their 2nd year. Both these programs consist of targeted education days and rotations within the different units of the paediatric hospital. The aim is by the end of 2 years they are very employable registered nurses in paediatrics, and it assists them as they start applying for positions on the units that they rotated through. We find that they are flexible and often will work across more than 1 unit, which means that they continue to develop diverse skills.

Both these programs work by each unit having designated RN1 & Transitional Program positions, which means we are able to take the same number each year.

We also recruit undergraduate nursing students as AIN's, and we employ them during their last 18 months at University. This has been a great way to build interest and skills in paediatrics, and we find they often become successful applicants for our RN1 program.

We don't currently have anything similar for the newly graduated enrolled nurse at this stage. 

In reply to Julie Jackson

Re: Employment of EN and RN Graduates

by Deleted user -

My name is Rosemary Luczak I am the New grad coordinator at Westmead Hospital and also orientation program amongst other issues.

I have organised a structured program re orientation to the facility .

This is a combined skill framework to cover mandatory requirements of the Ministry of Health and aslo clinical governance in our facility .

If you would like to contact me directly that is fine Rosemary.Luczak@swahs.health.nsw.gov.au