ANTS News and Discussion Forum

ANMAC Update for ANTS Members

ANMAC Update for ANTS Members

by Michelle Girdler -
Number of replies: 0

Dear ANTS Members I thought this ANMAC Update would be of interest to your.

Michelle Girdler, RN.,B.Nsg,Grad Dip, MNSc.,
Nursing Director, Clinical Education - Nursing
Clinical Education & Staff Development
CALHN
Ph: 08 8222 6746 – TQEH
PH : 0 707 42213 - RAH
Mobile: 0401691587
Email: michelle.girdler@sa.gov.au

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View this email in your browser
ANMAC Standard March 2018

To continue receiving updates from ANMAC please subscribe to our newsletter by clicking the subscribe button on the homepage of our website www.anmac.org.au
CEO update
I’d like to take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year! Last year the ANMAC team celebrated a productive year, creating efficiencies by refining and implementing new processes.  

Our Skilled Migration Services team had a busy lead up to the Christmas break, finalising the development of its online application system for nurses and midwives who want to migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration program.  

Three new Board Directors were appointed in late October 2017. We welcome Roslyn Jackson, Karen Taylor and Lorraine Sheppard to the ANMAC Board. Annie Butler from the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation also commenced her Directorship on the Board replacing Lee Thomas. The Board composition is now comprised of our five-member organisations, an accreditation expert, a vocational education expert and two community representatives. Information about the Board structure and Director bios are available on our website.

Late last year I attended the Council on Licensure, Enforcement & Regulation (CLEAR) Fifth International Congress on Professional and Occupational Regulation. The conference explored the challenges and priorities now and in the long-term for professional regulators in Australia and internationally. The congress also provided an opportunity to network with national and international regulators of professions. 

I also attended the second annual Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) Conference – quality, students and success. Presenters included thought leaders, policy makers and students who delivered presentations on a range of issues facing the higher education sector in Australia and internationally.

I look forward to working with you in 2018. 

Skilled Migration Services Update
Skilled Migration Services launched its online application system on 15 January 2018.  All applicants are now required to apply online and upload their documents electronically.

The introduction of the online application system was accompanied by a significant reduction in the fees for skills assessments. We have also introduced a new assessment stream, the Modified PLUS assessment type. This is for applicants who have a current ‘Notice of in principle approval of registration subject to proof of identity’ letter from the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

Since launching the online application system, we have received over 600 applications for a skills assessment. The Skilled Migration Services team are working hard to maintain low wait times.
Accreditation Services Update
Accreditation Services welcomed four new Associate Directors and an extra administration member to the team in 2017 to increase capacity. The introduction of additional staffing resources saw the accreditation team accredit 44 programs of study including:
  • 12 Enrolled Nurse programs
  • 4 Nurse Practitioner programs
  • 6 Midwifery Programs
  • 19 Registered Nurse Programs
  • 3 Dual Degrees
In addition to this the team assessed 13 Major modifications and 137 Minor modifications for programs with current accreditation.

The Enrolled Nurse Accreditation Standards 2017 were approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia and published in June 2017. These standards saw a move to the structure of other Accreditation Standards and changes to the program entry criteria in relation to English language. We have commenced the review of the Registered Nurse Accreditation Standards with a view to completing these standards late-2018. 

January visit from Chinese delegation of nurses
From 22-23 January 2018 we hosted nursing delegates from the Guangdong province in China. The delegates were keen to learn more about advanced nursing practice in Australia and how this level of practice is implemented at the service level. Ann Kinnear (ANMAC Board Chair), Petrina Halloran (Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia) and Professor Phill Della (Head of School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine, Curtin University) met with the delegates to share information and provide the group with an overall understanding of their respective organisations. We also coordinated a walk through and a meet and greet of several ACT Health facilities at the Canberra Hospital and the Belconnen Community Centre.

Our Reconciliation Action Plan
As an organisation we have committed to reconciliation by developing and maintaining a Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP).

A RAP provides a framework to help us realise our vision for reconciliation by building on the four pillars of:
  • Relationships
  • Respect
  • Opportunities
  • Governance and Reporting
We have formed a working group and are in early stages of developing and drafting our RAP.  The working group identifies issues and topics of importance surrounding the development and implementation of our RAP. The membership of the working group includes a staff member of the Congress of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives who provides advice and perspectives from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses and midwives.

We plan to submit our RAP to Reconciliation Australia for endorsement before Reconciliation Week (27 May to 3 June 2018). We are looking forward to celebrating Reconciliation Week and in particular, Reconciliation Day on 28 May 2018. This will be Australia’s first Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander focused public holiday to be held in the ACT. As a national organisation based in Canberra we are proud to be part of a community where we can come together to recognise and celebrate the importance of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and history.
Frances Rice
What is your role at ANMAC? 
I am the Manager of Accreditation Services. I supervise the administration staff to support the accreditation process, monitor the budget, analyse data collected, and monitor projected workload. I manage projects that are undertaken in accreditation which includes the development, review and implementation of accreditation standards.

What aspects of your role do you most enjoy? 
I enjoy collaborating with other nursing and midwifery professionals to ensure a quality, skilled workforce for the future.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love playing touch football, I play twice a week. I have started running training, this year I am planning to run a half marathon in the Sydney Running Festival.   The rest of my spare time is spent battling the weeds in my garden!   

What three words best describe you? 
Fun, Outgoing, Ambitious
Milica Batar
What is your role at ANMAC? 
Finance and Support Officer.

What aspects of your role do you most enjoy? 
I am really enjoying the variety my role offers and also working with great people. I look forward to contributing to the success of ANMAC.

What do you like to do in your spare time?   
I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, shopping, volunteering my time to local soccer club.

What’s your favourite travel spot? 
Greek Islands
Erin Moss
My role at ANMAC

I am the Finance Manager for ANMAC. I assist the Executive and Management team with the day to day finance activities and payroll as well as compiling monthly financial reports and analysis with the help of my team.

In do you like to do in your spare time?
I am a Thermomix consultant in my spare time which supports my love for baking and being able to help others find their passion. I also love to spend time with my family on our little farm in Bungendore.

What is the last book you read?  Fairytale by Danielle Steel

What is your favourite movie quote? "Have courage & be kind” - Cinderella

Copyright © 2018 Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
GPO Box 400, Canberra City, ACT 2601
Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list