ANTS News and Discussion Forum

Rewarding Preceptors

Rewarding Preceptors

by Gillian O'Connor -
Number of replies: 6

Good morning all

We are currently reviewing our clinical supervision models/roles. The current discussion is how do we recognise and reward preceptors in today's workplace, is it necessary to recognise or reward preceptors or is it "part of the job?

Given tight budgets (or no budget), reduction in supported study leave, and a higher demand for undergrad/post grad placements etc how do other health care services or do they recognise and reward preceptors?

Would appreciate any comments or examples from other services.

Regards

Gill O'Connor, Clinical Education Team, Alice Springs

In reply to Gillian O'Connor

Re: Rewarding Preceptors

by Christine Taylor -

Dear Gill, hi, I am not in a health service but I have an idea that may be useful that has been implemented in some health facilities. I fully support showing staff what wonderful jobs they do. Feeling valued is, I think, very important to any team member. You could involve the DON or ADON and have a presentation. The preceptors could get certificates of appreciation at a morning tea. the certificates would have a comment that is specific to that person and identify specifically the wonderful work they do. photos can be taken and put in the hospital newsletter and/or in a common area (eg main foyer) and in the ward. 

by Lyn Davies -

At our organisation we reward our preceptors by conducting a a free 2 day  Preceptorship program - foundation to intermediate level.

At the end of the year we have Xmas rewards to those who have current training in Preceptorship - ie Movie Ticket, Hampers to the wards)

This is well received by the departments and individual staff

Hope this helps

In reply to Lyn Davies

by Michael Maw -

Hi

Good topic/question

I think recognition and reward (not necessarily pecuniary) of preceptors/mentors is critical to the well-being of the individuals and their organisations. Especially when there is an element of fatigue associated with pace/change/demands for some.

As those who review journals may be aware, Elsevier has just announced a process of recognition and reward for reviewers. Its only in beta, but essentially (to my understanding so far) it tracks your formal reviewing activity and provides acknowledgment of how much you have done and to a limited extent the outcomes. Without breaching the anonymity of the peer or expert review process. Link to it is below.

http://www.elsevier.com/reviewers-update/home/featured-article/more-recognition-for-reviewers

Maybe this is a low cost concept that people could adapt to provide those who precept some evidence and recognition for the effort they have put in? It may prove to be a benefit for promotion or role change by tangibly representing some of the effort individuals exert?

Cheers

Michael Maw: The Mordun Group

by Cheryl Petrini -

Hi,

we have reviewed our policy in relation to staff recogniton and appreciation to include a morning/afternoon tea for your preceptors twice a year. We will be displaying the feedback comments from the students as well.

Cheryl Petrini

In reply to Cheryl Petrini

by Rebecca Kelly -

Hi,

At The Sutherland Hospital we have a Preceptor nomination form given to all undergraduate/postgraduate students at orientation/induction. Students are asked to provide feedback about a "great" nurse/nurses they have worked with. These feedback forms are returned to the Clinical Placement Coordinator in Staff Education at the end of the placement. Certificates of recognition are generated for the Preceptors for their portfolio, they also receive a copy of the feedback. A tally is kept by the coordinator in Staff Education and at our annual awards ceremony (held at a cocktail party close to international nurses day) the person with the most preceptor nominations is awarded the "Preceptor of the Year". The awards are sponsored and the winners receive a Trophy and prize money. At this years awards ceremony approximately 400 nurses had received nominations across the organisation.

Rebecca Kelly

by Janine Kane -

Hi Gillian,

At Central we ask our students to nominate ‘buddy nurses’ / preceptors who have been particularly helpful and supportive. We then forward this to the hospitals, though many of the hospitals have their own preceptor nomination forms which students need to complete on their last day!

The hospitals I have worked with have a monthly preceptor of the month award, which is a certificate of excellence.  At the end of the year  formal announcements of preceptor of the year is announced and a gift voucher and certificate is given to them.

I personally like the idea of sending the CNM of the area the names of the ward staff who have had positive feedback written about them by the students. This is then placed in the staff tea room. It boosts the morale of the ward staff on a more continuous level (students rotating through every 2- 6 weeks) so it’s not a once a month or year only thing.

Hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,

Janine Kane